Friday, November 11, 2011

Learning through Memory Work

This year I have instituted a morning ritual that I call "Morning Meeting". It is during these meetings that we work on:

Memorizing Bible Passages: We do this by starting with the reciting the first verse several times. Then we add to it each day. Eventually we recite the entire passage beginning to end.

Bible Catechism: We are using Training Hearts and Teaching Minds by Starr Meade. It has a weekly question and answer to memorize. Then a short bible study that reinforces each question.

Presidents Song: Found on YouTube

Skip Counting Songs: My own creation. Here is an example. You can find more of my videos by clicking on My Video's up top.


Finally, we have a theme of the day:

New's Day: I share a news article for the Sunday Paper
Show & Tell: This gives them a chance to show their siblings school work or projects they have been working on. 
President's Facts Day: I want them to learn about the President's they are memorizing
Character Trait Day: I reinforce this with a Bible verse. 
Recitation Day: This gives them a chance to recite the memory work by themselves and show what they know. 

Now that I have told you all about it, I am motivated to get back to it. We did this for the first two months of school and then I let life get in the way. I could really see the benefit to these short morning meetings. My kids were really using the math they were learning from the videos and scripture is always a good thing. How do you incorporate memory work into your school day?

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm going to borrow it with a few modifications to fit our needs. I love the skip counting video but I'm not seeing where to click to find your other videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on "My Video's" at the top of this blog. That will take you to my account on YouTube. You'll see "Uploads" on the right hand side of the screen. Click on "Show All" at the bottom of the visible videos and it should show you all the videos I have made so far. I have plans to make more including counting by 8, 9, 12, 25 and Money.

    ReplyDelete